Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127090] Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 04:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:15:14 AM UTC-4, djmpark wrote:
> What is the justification for the following?
>

> 0. x + 1. y
>

> 0. + 1. y

This appears to be an active area of Mathematica development. I think WRI improves their definition of "zero" with each release. Perhaps the next spin will give at least a more consistent result (0. + 1. y = 1. y), though not your desired one. If I recall correctly, earlier releases gave 0. * x -> 0. * x .

Vince Virgilio