Re: Can I solve this system of nonlinear equations?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125257] Re: Can I solve this system of nonlinear equations?
  • From: "Stephen Luttrell" <steve at _removemefirst_stephenluttrell.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 07:50:48 -0500 (EST)

On further investigation is see that in the objective function approach

NMinimize[obj, {a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h}]

NMinimize[obj, {a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h}, Method -> "DifferentialEvolution"]

NMinimize[obj, {a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h}, Method -> "SimulatedAnnealing"]

give radically different, but equally good, solutions to the equations.

So, the solution space is not 0-dimensional (i.e. a single point), and more
work is needed to characterise it. Over to you!

--
Stephen Luttrell
West Malvern, UK