Re: How to use Save/Get for interpolation of unstructured

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125443] Re: How to use Save/Get for interpolation of unstructured
  • From: A Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:37:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

>>> I posted this question a couple of days ago but did not get any
>>> response. Meanwhile I noticed that the Save-d interpolation data contains
>>> "NDSolve`FEM`ElementMesh", which may relates to my problem. Let me
>>> restate the question.
>>>
>>> I have 2D unstructured data in the form {{{1.22001, 0.00024605},
>>> 0.816237}, {{1.22334, 0.000250332},0.436219},... } (connectivity is also
>>> available but I do not know how to use it with Mathematica).
>>>
>>> Interpolation issues a warning:
>>>
>>> "Interpolation::udeg: Interpolation on unstructured grids is currently
>>> only supported for InterpolationOrder->1 or InterpolationOrder->All.
>>> Order will be reduced to 1.>>",
>>>
>>> The warning is not an issue for me, the problem is that I cannot use
>>> Save/Get for this interpolation function. After Get the interpolation
>>> function instead of a number returns:

to me this looks like a bug in exactly the new feature that the warning
is about, obviously it is new functionality and it has been overlooked
that it can't be reconstructed from it's FullForm (or InputForm). If you
do FullForm[intp], copy the result in a new cell and evaluate that you
will find that this does not work and I think that is about what happens
and fails within the Save/Get cycle...

For the moment I think the best you can do is to save the data and
reconstruct the interpolating function after reloading the data.

hth,

albert