Re: replace one rule in a list of rules

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg125553] Re: replace one rule in a list of rules
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 02:46:42 -0500 (EST)

Not sure what you mean by "repeatedly replace one of [the rules]". After
all, if you have a list of rules with repeats, e.g.,

     myrules = {a -> b, c -> d, e -> f, c -> d};

then you could get rid of the repeats by using, say, Union:

     simplerules = Union@myrules

So your problem really seems to be to replace _one_ of the rules. And
then replace that one rule just as you'd replace anything, e.g.:

Or is your problem something else?

On 3/17/12 3:51 AM, Kathryn Isaac wrote:
> I have a list of simple rules. I want to repeatedly replace one of
> them.  Is the best way to simply prepend the new rules, or is there a
> "prettier" approach?
> Thanks,
> Alan Isaac

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.