Re: Mathematica results different on different computers !

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125576] Re: Mathematica results different on different computers !
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 05:00:04 -0500 (EST)

On 18/03/2012 07:45, Nabeel Butt wrote:
> Hi Guys ...
>       I run a piece of code on two different computers (different hardwares)
> and I get different results.I think its something to do with overflow or
> different precision on systems ? Personally I think my laptop with an
> inferior hardware is giving me correct results. The code does involve some
> simulation but running the simulation gives the same result on one
> particular computer but different for different computers ! You can run and
> tell me what answers you are getting ....Thanks in advance....and my code
> is below ........

When I run this on 8.0.4 on Windows 64-bit XP, I get a graph with 4
points, in roughly a straight line. The last point is at (approx)
{0.25,0.0040}, the first at approx {0.161,0.00245} .

Possible reasons for varying answers:

1)     Random numbers not initialised to the same point.

2)     Possible slight hardware differences between 32 and 64-bit PC's

Parallel constructions could give problems if used incorrectly. This
might vary depending on the number of cores available.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk