Convert string to number

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg125651] Convert string to number
  • From: paul <pnschatz at>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 00:17:25 -0500 (EST)
I used an application called "To Text Converter" (Mac, OS 10.7.3) to
convert a PDF document to text form. I wanted to extract some numbers
from the converted document using Mathematica. In the process, for
example, I obtained the string, 1727.65. If I apply' ToExpression' to
the string, I obtain no answer with Head, 'Symbol.' Applying FullForm
to the string gives,

How do I extract a number from this?