DialogInput in ButtonFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125668] DialogInput in ButtonFunction
  • From: Jakob Ebner <jakob.ebner at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 00:33:15 -0500 (EST)

I would like to impement something like the following into the
function of a button which needs the returned value for further
evaluation.

DialogInput[{
  InputField[Dynamic[dyn], String],
  FileNameSetter[Dynamic[dyn]],
  Button["Ok", DialogReturn[dyn]]
  }]

Now I encounter two problems:
i) calling DialogInput or CreateDialog whithin a button causes my
Mathematica session to crash.
ii) if this would work I also have the problem that the browse button
won`t work because the evaluation in the main notebook is halted.

Any Suggestions?
Best wishes, Jakob