Re: Typesetting in Mathematica (TraditionalForm typesetting?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125697] Re: Typesetting in Mathematica (TraditionalForm typesetting?)
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:00:18 -0500 (EST)

Brentt,

This is probably best conveyed off-list.

I utterly love Mathematica for all sorts of things. But for note-taking
during a class, I cannot imagine that Mathematica is a very efficient
medium.  After all, to get all kinds of symbols you have to use Esc or
Ctrl sequence combinations, or awkward \[...\] strings, or menu buttons.

I should think that if you don't want to use paper and pencil, it would
be _much_ more efficient to use LaTeX markup. Thus, typing

   \int_0^{\infty} e^{\pi i t} dt

than the corresponding thing in Mathematica. You could even, if you
wish, omit the leading "\" symbols in such things and insert them later
in a text editor with search-and-replace.

And of course you can always import TeX mark-up text into Mathematica.

There is a way to add new keyboard shortcuts, and as I recall that
requires modifying one of Mathematica's system files. I'm sure others
will post explanations about that.

Murray

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu