Re: dynamic input alias

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg126435] Re: dynamic input alias
  • From: Arturas Acus <arturas.acus at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 04:58:48 -0400 (EDT)
In order not to left unanswered question I post solution I have found on
how dynamic aliases can be emulated.

Suppose initially I have an alias "mv"

SetOptions[System`$FrontEndSession,InputAliases ->
Union[Join[CurrentValue[System`$FrontEndSession,InputAliases], {"mv" ->

I want it to change when value of RunningAlgebra is changed.
To do so I define upgradeInputAlias[ ] function below.

Then along with changing RunningAlgebra value issue

and alias will change.

Second solution would be instead of RGBColor[0,0,0] to use
Dynamic[mystyle]. And set mystyle to preffered color. Unfortunatelly
this makes FrontEnd unstable (at least on my system) and Mathematica warns when
openning any notebook about "potentially unsafe dynamic", because front
end initialization init.m file now contains Dynamic[ ], which was not
intended by design.

Sincerely, Arturas Acus

Dear group,

I wonder can "dynamic" input aliases be defined in Mathematica?

For example, suppose I define input alias

And then evaluate in the notebook

I would like that when using input alias in the notebook it would
evaluate with above set values, i.e. RunningMark being replaced by
"MyMark", and RunningColor with provided color.

Is it possible to realize this "dynamic" input alias?

Sincerely, Arturas Acus