Re: Speed of Mathematica on AMD machines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126451] Re: Speed of Mathematica on AMD machines
  • From: A Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 04:50:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> In the past, Intel had been known to engage in anticompetitive practices
> with respect to AMD, and quite rightly was subject to legal penalties for
> this. (Specifically, they encouraged large computer manufacturers such as
> which both show that Bulldozer performance is a very mixed bag in general.
> While there are a few applications in which it can match or only just
> outperform Intel's offerings, for the most part it falls behind them
> considerably.

Very good points, Oleksandr, I agree with everything except that you
could argue just as well that the the performance of intels processors
is a mixed bag, after all they could be expected to be faster where
Bulldozer matches or outperforms them.

I think the point is that processors (and more important: bundles of
hardware+OS+software) _are_ different and there is not a single number
which you can reliably use to compare them -- your best deal depends on
what exactly you are doing. That's not a very new finding though, you'll
find that conclusion everywhere (actually whether that conclusion is
made is a good measure of quality and impartiality of what you read).

If you really try to find the optimal deal that's a tough job, and I
think even experts can't do reliable forecasts without some
experimentation on the real thing. Fortunately processors are so fast
nowadays that you can get done quite a lot even with a poor choice...

albert

PS: All this of course doesn't change the fact that Intel has the better
package for a majority of use cases these days...