Re: Trying to recursively define a double factorial

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126529] Re: Trying to recursively define a double factorial
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 04:10:12 -0400 (EDT)

You are defining the ordinary factorial function (which is already built
in to Mathematica as Factorial).

You don't need the ";/(n>0)" condition in your definition: Mathematica
uses a special rule such as MyF1[1]=1 before it uses a general rule. So
it would suffice to define:

   myF1[1] = 1;
   myF1[n_] := myF1[n] = n myF1[n-1]

Note that I changed your capitalized function name to one that begins
with a lower-case letter; since all built-in Mathematica names begin
with capital letters, ordinarily a user's own names should not.

Also -- a very minor point, there's no need for an explicit
multiplication sign.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305