Is Histogram Equalization still supported?

I have an image that I would like to perform histogram equalization on,
but searches in the Mathematica Documentation Center for "histogram
equalization" yields nothing.

A google search of site:wolfram.com yields documentation on the obsolete
function HistogramEqualize[], and some related functions, but gives no
clue as to what these obsolete functions were replaced by.

<http://reference.wolfram.com/legacy/applications/digitalimage/FunctionIn
dex/HistogramEqualize.html>

One assumes that Mathematica 8 can perform histogram equalization, but is
keeping it a secret.

So my question is where in Mathematica to look.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn