Is there way to use something like Assuming with the function SIgn?

Hello

I was wondering there is something similar to what can be done with Integrate, Reduce and Limit.  Something like

list={1,-2,a,3}

Assuming[a<0,Sign[list]]

Mathematica returns {1,-1,Sign[a],1} and I would like to see something like {1,-1,-1,1}.   Can that be done?

Many thanks

Ed