Multi Thread in Mathematica (not multi core)

Hi All
I'm working in some web scraping using Mathematica, and today, to get velocity, I have to call bash commands inside Mathematica (xargs with parallel options with curl and wget).
I would like to do All inside Mathematica, but I miss multi thread capability. I could use more cores, but it's not the answer because the leg is due to time lag, not lack of processor capacity.
Some clue? Something new to Mathematica 9?
I thought that would be natural to be multi thread if it's multi core.
tks in advance
Murta