Kernel Script For Speech

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128286] Kernel Script For Speech
  • From: pw <p.willis at telus.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 23:41:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I have set up  ~/.Mathematica/kernel/sound.m to work with Ubuntu Linux
Precise Pangolin as follows:

(******************************************************************)

(*
  * Set up a $SoundDisplayFunction for the
  * Linux version of Mathematica and potentially other unixes, too.
  *)

Begin["System`Private`"]

Unprotect[$SoundDisplayFunction]
Clear[$SoundDisplayFunction]

$SoundDisplayFunction :=
     Module[{playCmd,soundFileName},
			Export[$SoundDisplay, #1];
         (* is there a way to get the sample rate, etc. from the audio
stream? *)
         playCmd = "/usr/bin/play";
         soundFileName = "/tmp/" <> ToString[Unique["sound"]] <> ".wav";
         playCmd = playCmd <> " " <> soundFileName;

         Export[soundFileName, #1, "WAV"];
         Run[playCmd];
         Run["/bin/rm -f " <> soundFileName];
        ] &

Protect[$SoundDisplayFunction]

End[];
(******************************************************************)

This was a minor modification of a similar script found on the web.

QUESTION:

I am trying to make the Speak[] function work.
I would like to use the command line functionality of 'espeak'
which works just fine on my distro.

What function do I need to define in ~/.Mathematica/kernel to
plug perform a similar function for Speak[]; as has been done
above for Play[];

Thank you

Peter