List manipulation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128288] List manipulation?
  • From: Andreas Talmon l'Armée at smc.vnet.net
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 02:48:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I got a problem with List manipulation. I have the following list item:

  a = -Subscript[50, 5]

and I would like to change the value of 50 to 360-50 and also change the
sign to +. First I tried to change the sign and then the value and I got
an outcome I didn't understand. Doing the other way round I get the
outcome I expected. Does anybody know what the difference is?

Here is the Example file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4920002/Example.nb

a = -Subscript[50, 5]
a[[2, 1]] = 360 - a[[2, 1]]