Re: Grouping graphics that are transformed together

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128365] Re: Grouping graphics that are transformed together
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 01:24:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, I was wondering what is the best way to grouping complex geometric
objects in graphics together so that they can be dealt with as a whole in
transformations and other geometric and extra-geometrical operations (e.g.
duplication with inheritance) . i.e. making graphical objects that have
properties which can be dealt with in an organized way.

I figured out ways two separate ways that kind work with inset and another
with graphics complex, but both seem hackish and a bit messy and this leads
me to think I'm perhaps not doing it the correct way. GraphicsGroup, which
by the name you might think was for this kind of functionality appears to
have a different purpose all together.

I don't need a detailed explanation but I could use a tip on where to look.
I haven't found anything in the documentation that addresses this in much
detail.

Thank you,
Brentt Newman

Hi, Brennt,
>From your mail I am not quite sure, if the most straightforward things as those below are not good for your purposes.
Just in case, check them. I used Rotate as an example of transformation. One can use any other instead.

1.

gr1 = Graphics[{{LightBlue, Disk[{0, 0}, 0.5]}, {LightRed,
    Rectangle[{-1, -1}, {0, 0}]}}]
Rotate[gr1, \[Pi]/3]

2.
gr2 = Show[{Graphics[{Blue, Disk[{0, 0}, 0.5]}],
   Graphics[{LightRed, Opacity[0.5], Rectangle[{-1, -1}, {0, 0}]}]
   }]

Rotate[gr2, \[Pi]/6]

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.