MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Nonlinear curve fit as a Button function fails quietly

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128419] Re: Nonlinear curve fit as a Button function fails quietly
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 02:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net
  • References: <k5l6e1$cn9$1@smc.vnet.net>

I appreciate the replies I have received so far.  One thing I failed to emphasize is the intermittency of this problem.  It appears to be related to the Messaging system in a subtle way.  If FindFit doesn't have a problem (as it apparently did not on some of your computers) it does not try to throw a message and the fit parameters get returned correctly.  The particular example I pasted does not converge in 500 iterations (on my computer) and FindFit tries to throw the Message.  I think it may be a failure of Message, not the function itself, that is the source of the problem.

This morning, I have a fresh session and I deleted the cache.  When FindFit throws the message, a pink Message notebook opens with the message, as expected behavior.  I think somehow I buggered the windowing system, so Mathematica gets confused as to where to put the Message.  Maybe it is out there somewhere, I just do not see it.

This is very hard for me to diagnose.  For now, I have reduced the Accuracy and Precision goals and keep my fingers crossed.  However, since I am developing this as a tool for other engineers, I have to find a resolution for this.

Regards,
Daniel

• Prev by Date: Analytic Solution != Numerical Solution
  • Next by Date: Re: Intersection over an index
  • Previous by thread: Re: Nonlinear curve fit as a Button function fails quietly
  • Next by thread: "Discovering" a grid in an image?