Re: Nonlinear curve fit as a Button function fails quietly

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128419] Re: Nonlinear curve fit as a Button function fails quietly
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 02:35:46 -0400 (EDT)

I appreciate the replies I have received so far.  One thing I failed to emphasize is the intermittency of this problem.  It appears to be related to the Messaging system in a subtle way.  If FindFit doesn't have a problem (as it apparently did not on some of your computers) it does not try to throw a message and the fit parameters get returned correctly.  The particular example I pasted does not converge in 500 iterations (on my computer) and FindFit tries to throw the Message.  I think it may be a failure of Message, not the function itself, that is the source of the problem.

This morning, I have a fresh session and I deleted the cache.  When FindFit throws the message, a pink Message notebook opens with the message, as expected behavior.  I think somehow I buggered the windowing system, so Mathematica gets confused as to where to put the Message.  Maybe it is out there somewhere, I just do not see it.

This is very hard for me to diagnose.  For now, I have reduced the Accuracy and Precision goals and keep my fingers crossed.  However, since I am developing this as a tool for other engineers, I have to find a resolution for this.

Regards,
Daniel