More Button crashes

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg128421] More Button crashes
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 02:36:26 -0400 (EDT)
Yesterday I posted an intermittent problem I was having related to Button use.  I have now found another Button problem that is repeatable.  I was not looking for it; it found me.

<<<--- Warning --->>>
This example can crash your kernel or front end.  If you run this code, save all your work, exit all kernels and front ends and start a new, isolated front end and kernel.

I have tested this on two different machines and operating systems, OSX and Windows.

Evaluating the PutUpDialog[] function on its own has the expected behavior.  Evaluating the same function as a result of pushing the button, however, has ugly results.

--- snip ---
PutUpDialog[] := Module[{ret},
   ret = DialogInput[{Row[{DefaultButton[DialogReturn[True]],
         CancelButton[DialogReturn[False]]}]}]; If[ret, "Hi", "Bye"]]

Button["Dialog Box", PutUpDialog[]]