Re: How do I assign the solution obtained by FindRoot to a variable?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128488] Re: How do I assign the solution obtained by FindRoot to a variable?
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 03:33:47 -0400 (EDT)

Plot can be used to help identify starting values for FindRoot

eqn = Sin[x] + Exp[x];

z = x /.
  FindRoot[eqn, {x, 0}]

-0.588533

Plot[eqn, {x, -10, 2}, Epilog -> {Red, AbsolutePointSize[4],
   Point[{z, 0}]}]

For negative x, the Sin[x] term will cause the expression to
oscillate. Pick some range of interest

pts = {x, 0} /. Table[
    FindRoot[eqn, {x, -n*Pi}],
    {n, 0, 12}];

Plot[eqn, {x, -40, 0.75},
 Epilog -> {Red, AbsolutePointSize[4],
   Point[pts]}]

eqns = {Exp[x - 2] == y, y^2 == x};

Plot[
 Evaluate[y /. Solve[#, y] & /@ eqns],
 {x, -.5, 2.75},
 Frame -> True,
 Axes -> False]

pts = {x, y} /.
    FindRoot[eqns,
     {{x, #[[1]]}, {y, #[[2]]}}] & /@
  {{0.1, 0.1}, {2.5, 1.5}}

{{0.019026, 0.137935}, {2.44754, 1.56446}}

Plot[
 Evaluate[y /. Solve[#, y] & /@ eqns],
 {x, -.5, 2.75},
 Frame -> True,
 Axes -> False,
 Epilog -> {Red, AbsolutePointSize[4],
   Point[pts]}]

You can also use Ted Ersek's Root Search package

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2012/Apr/msg00444.html

Bob Hanlon