Re: A new FrontEnd

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128020] Re: A new FrontEnd
  • From: Leo Ditolaghi <leoditolaghi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 05:10:27 -0400 (EDT)

I sometimes envision of new kind of front end for Mathematica that is a
kind of hybrid "handwriting recognition" interface. In order to ease the
burden of the recognition technology, the document consists of an array
of rectangular cells, each cell (or span of cells) being used to accept
mathematical symbols and data. This grid (which is a kind of highly
scalable spreadsheet) allows the user to enter the desired formulae,
commands, etc., in such a way that the cells employed define the scope
of the symbols. A simple example might be something like if the desired
input is x^2, one might employ a square array of 4 cells, marking an "X"
in the leftmost two cells, and a "2" in the top right cell of the 2-d
cell array, thus defining the variable and exponent, and so on. Since
the grid could be scaled to be as coarse or fine-grained as needed, the
scope of entering mathematical symbols might become quite intuitive. An
integral sign drawn 4 cells high would extend its scope to the
expression to its right that extends 4 cells high, for example.
Highlighting a horizontal span of cells with a line creates a fraction,
and so on.

Is this what the iPad interface will be like, something on this order?

Cheers,

Leo