Begginer's question: Saving a function for later use

Hello,
I'm just getting started on Mathematica and trying to define a function for later use. The function is just:

test[x_]:=x^2

While I don't close mathematica, I can use the function on my notebooks but when I close it, the function disappers, I tried to save a .m file with it but It didn't work. What do I do?

Thanks for time,
Pedro