3d connexion compatibility of mathematica8 under windows 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128060] 3d connexion compatibility of mathematica8 under windows 7
  • From: Rob325 <roberto.carluccio at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 03:00:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all, I posted this question on the 3dconnexion forum:

"Hi,

I'm using mathematica8 and 3dconnexion spacepilot and spacenavigator both under windows and macOsX.
Mathematica has a built-in mechanism to sense any HID controller available to the system and automatically assign special dynamical variables to the HID channels available.

On MacOsX 3Dconnexion products do work under mathematica as they should: the small spacenavigator is readily seen through the "ControllerInformation[]" mathematica command and 6 real variables are assigned to the 6 DOF (degrees of freedom) channels and boolean variables are attached to the buttons state.

Unfortunately this seems not to be the case under windows (both XP and 7): the controller is not seen at all, it is not listed and no channel are available to the programmer. The compatibility is limited to a sort of useless and jerky 2 or 3 DOF emulation on the 3d graphics cell window.

Why this difference? Is there anything wrong with my setup? I'm running drivers 6.15.6 (firmware 4.05) on spacepilot under windows 7 64bit. Is there any planning to let the new drivers be compatible with mathematica as their counterpart on macOsX already are?"

and got the answer:

"Contact Wolfram the support was added natively in the application.

Verify the 3D Mouse is enabled within your application. Some applications require specific steps to activate a 3D Mouse. Also, you may want to do a "repair" on your 3DxSoftware driver if it was installed before your applicaton."

The driver was the last software installed and I'm sure that on the mac I didn't enable anything.
I searched however through mathematica preference but didn't find any "enabling switch".

Any advice?

Thanks

Roberto