Re: primitive root error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128096] Re: primitive root error
  • From: daniel.lichtblau0 at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 03:38:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:16:47 PM UTC-5, Dan Dubin wrote:
> The number theoretic function PrimitiveRoot[n]  is supposed to give the
>
> smallest generator for the multiplicative group of integers module n
>
> relatively prime to n.  However, Mathematica 8  says that
>
> PrimitiveRoot[18] equals 11. This is incorrect. While this is a
>
> generator, it is not the smallest generator of the group. The correct
>
> answer is 5:
>

> In[1]:= Table[Mod[5^n, 18], {n, 0, 6}]
>

> Out[1]= {1, 5, 7, 17, 13, 11, 1}

Me, I'd call that a mistake in the documentation. Anyway, you can get the smallest by resorting to a crude, nay, barbaric tactic: invoke Wolfram|Alpha to find all the primitive roots.

In[71]:= WolframAlpha["primitive roots of 18", "MathematicaResult"]

Out[71]= {5, 11}

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research