Re: How to solve the integrate problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128143] Re: How to solve the integrate problem
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 04:54:38 -0400 (EDT)

But that is exactly what I have written you. The answer is given by the function

Integrate[f[x], {x, 0, xmax}, Assumptions -> Q >= 0]

Take care: Mathematica is case-sensitive. According to what you have written in this message, all you parameters are positive, are they? If yes, you may include all of them into assumptions like the following:

Integrate[f[x], {x, 0, xmax}, Assumptions -> {Q >= 0. P>0,v>0, g>0,B>0}]

If you have some other relations (like inequalities) between parameters, include them also. This might help.
However, since you have a piecewise function, f,  the answer is also a piecewise function of the upper integration boundary,
xmax. The construct

Manipulate[
 Integrate[f[x], {x, 0, xmax}, Assumptions -> Q >= 0],
{xmax, 0, 2}]

allows you to dynamically check what happens when you vary xmax. For this you need first to fix numerical values of all parameters except x and xmax.
Check Menu/Help/Integrate and Menu/Help/Manipulate.

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,