Running an external program inside a Do loop

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130458] Running an external program inside a Do loop
  • From: Luiz Melo <lmelo at ufsj.edu.br>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 02:18:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi
I have to run an external program inside a Do loop, as in the example
below. The .exe program takes the parameter i as input from the
Input.dat file, and  generates a two-column numerical .dat file as
output. Next, the Output.dat file has to be imported and manipulated.
Since the external program takes some time to run and the Do loop runs
much faster, the external program is terminating abnormaly. I would
like to know how to tell Mathematica to wait until the external
program finishes its evaluation before to execute the Import command.
Thank you.
Luiz Melo.

Do [
 Export["Input.dat", i];
 Run["SomeMath.exe"];
 t = Import["Output.dat"];
 tpos[i] = Select[t, #[[1]] > 0 &];
 tneg[i] = Select[t, #[[1]] < 0 &], {i, 100}];