"Overlapped" and "Stacked" layout in Histogram ploting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130461] "Overlapped" and "Stacked" layout in Histogram ploting
  • From: Joug Raw <jougraw at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 02:19:05 -0400 (EDT)

I have a question regarding to the layout of the Histogram ploting.

data1 = RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0, 1], 500];
data2 = RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0, 1], 500];

Table[Histogram[{data1, data2}, PlotLabel -> l,
  ChartLayout -> l], {l, {"Overlapped", "Stacked"}}]

The output looks like:
[image: Inline image 1]
[image: Inline image 2]

I do not quiet understand what the meaning of "stacked" and "overlapped".

What was those light purple part that in between of tow bars in
"Overlapped" mode?

For "stacked" mode, if I switch the order of the data, label and the color,
I expect to see the form of the histogram also changed. But the histogram
actually do not change. This is strange, because it means in one way one
data is larger then the other but in the other way it is smaller. The
consequence is not in consistence itself. Could any one explain the exact
meaning of Stacked and Overlapped mode?