Contour plots of lat/lon data

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg132072] Contour plots of lat/lon data
  • From: amannucci <Anthony.J.Mannucci at>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 08:23:04 -0500 (EST)
I am interested in using Mathematica to plot functions of latitude/longitude (e.g. on Earth). I am thinking of ContourPlot type of functionality, but with latitude/longitude coordinates. I am familiar how this is done in matplotlib/python. It works like this:

One initializes the map projection thus:
m = Basemap(projection='npaeqd',boundinglat=10,lon_0=270,resolution ='l')

This projection is "North Polar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection". Then, given an array of data in lat, lon coordinates z(lat,lon), one converts to projection coordinates thus:
x,y = m(lon,lat)

And then executes the contour method of the map projection object:

Is there a polar projection in Mathematica? I cannot find one. If not, I can probably get reasonably close with the existing set of projections.

More broadly, I don't see how to create a geographically registered contour map in Mathematica. Is there a function that plots contour data taking into account a map projection that is already defined? I cannot find any examples of contour plotting on a user-specified geographic projection. Does one manually convert all the coordinates and then use ContourPlot?

Thanks for your help!