Re: Manipulate and Module

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg132101] Re: Manipulate and Module
  • From: Itai Seggev <itais at>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 02:54:53 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 03:05:30AM -0500, Sergio Miguel Terrazas Porras wrote:
> Hello folks!
> I had been using Module for a while, to avoid conflcts among variables in several functions used in the same notebook.
> When Manipulare came around, I modified many of my notebooks, putting a Manipulate inside the Module, something like this:
> function[var1_,var2_,...]:=Module[{internal list of vars},   Manipulate[something,{var,vinit,vfinal}]  ]
> But once in a while I encountered problems when opening a notebook.
> Something like Show[can not combine graph1 with graph2] etc.
> Now, the other way woulb be to interchange Module and Manipulate, putting the Module inside the Manipulate.
> What are the main differences between these two aproaches, and which one is the preffered one?

Without seeing the code, it is difficult to say.  But I doubt that it is
related to your issues.  Manipulate must have access to the appropriate
definitions in order to work, which if you're opening it in a fresh session it
might not.  I would guess that adding the option SaveDefinitions->True to your
Manipulate will solve your problems.

Itai Seggev
Mathematica Algorithms R&D