Re: Mathematica and Lisp

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129725] Re: Mathematica and Lisp
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 05:11:18 -0500 (EST)
On 7 Feb 2013, at 03:29, John Doty <noqsiaerospace at gmail.com> wrote:

> All this demonstrates is that you don't understand how to use Mathematica. > All you know how to do is fight against it. You don't understand when to use rules versus when to use the various algebraic tools. Your code is pointless: no trajectories calculated, no bridges designed, and it doesn't enable anything that Mathematica can't already do.

You have failed to appreciate the motives have made RJF devote so much
time and effort to this ungrateful task. It is, of course, pure altruism
and deeply felt sympathy for the poor Mathematica user confused by the
mysterious and buggy features of this so undeservedly successful
program. For a quarter of a century RJF has been diligently searching
for this user, pouncing on any unsuspecting innocent novice and
introducing him to exactly the same examples of Mathematica's supposed
confusion, complexity and unreliability, including, of course, the
notorious "non-recommendation" of Mathematica in instances where it
could "threaten" =85 "injury, or significant loss". Practically every
thing RJF has written concerning Mathematica on this forum he has posted
numerous times over many years - yet what an ungrateful and Sisyphus
like work it has been. The "confused user" for whose sake RJF must have
abandoned or delayed serious work of the kind that computer science
professors are overloaded with, never seems to acknowledge being
"confused", nor does he ever appear to be grateful for the attempted
rescue from the clutches of the charlatans at Wolfram Research. RJF's
"improvements" to Mathematica are being ignored by both Wolfram and
ordinary users, out of pure spite or perhaps inability to appreciate
genuinely advanced "computer science". Instead of appreciating the kind
heart and intellectual brilliance RJF has been gracing our forum with
for so many years you write about petty and mundane subjects like
"calculating trajectories" and "building bridges", which, along with
mathematics, physics etc, etc,  are obviously beneath RJF's concerns.
Which, of course, proves that you, like the rest of us, are a typical
Mathematica user, too confused by Wolfram to know what's good for you
and the world.

Andrzej Kozlowski