Re: Mathematica and Lisp

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129731] Re: Mathematica and Lisp
  • From: ?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E1nos_L=F6bb?= <janos at lobb.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 00:43:10 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 8, 2013, at 5:10 AM, Richard Fateman wrote:

> On 2/6/2013 6:28 PM, John Doty wrote:
> =\... snip...
>>
>> All this demonstrates is that you don't understand how to use
Mathematica. > All you know how to do is fight against it. You don't
understand when to use rules versus when to use the various algebraic
tools. Your code is pointless: no trajectories calculated, no bridges
designed, and it doesn't enable anything that Mathematica can't already
do.

> There is nothing that cannot be done in assembler that can be done in
> Mathematica.  By your reasoning Mathematica itself is pointless.
>
> There are deficiencies in Mathematica, as demonstrated by questions posted
> in this very newsgroup.  You can dismiss all such questions as claptrap
> because people are misusing it, and that is certainly the view of some
> contributors.  I think that such a view is unhelpful, at a minimum.

>>> Was the code not written in a programming language?
>>>
>>> Even if it was written in assembler, that too is
>>>
>>> a programming language.  I expect that the bug
>>>
>>> occurred because the programmer did not realize the
>>>
>>> semantics of the code.
>>
>> In the Theravac case, the coders appeared not to understand the operation and hazards of the radiation therapy machinery very well.
>
> That's not my understanding at all.

My understanding is that in the Theravac case when a counter overflew a higher energy dose - a lethal one - was administered by the operator of the machine unknowingly.  On one side it was a clear programming error either do not understanding that the 8 bit counter will overflow sooner or later, or negligence not doing an error checking before incrementing the counter.  On the other side it was also a clear systems engineering error, by relying only on the software control and taking out all the hardware stops that otherwise would have prevented the administration of the lethal dosage.
So I think both of you are right in some sense and both of you are wrong in another :-)
The best to both of you from Nemo :-)
J=E1nos