Re: Mathematica and Lisp

My answer is yes it does help to learn some lisp/scheme first before using Mathematica especially if you are a self learner like me. I used David Touretzky's book , An Introduction to symbolic computation for lisp and How to Design Programs  and chapter one of SICP for scheme after that using Mathematica was much easier.
mike