Re: Using a notebook - how to add a caption and ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129754] Re: Using a notebook - how to add a caption and ...
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 03:26:55 -0500 (EST)

Ed,

For the picture you might try something like the following:

CellPrint[
 Cell[BoxData[
   ToBoxes[Image[pastePictureHere, ImageSize -> 400] // Framed //
     Labeled[#,
       Style["A beautiful picture", 16, FontFamily -> "Ariel",
        ShowStringCharacters -> False], {{Bottom, Left}}] &]],
  CellMargins -> {{200, Automatic}, {4, 4}}
  ]
 ]

However, I don't know how to keep the picture centered if the notebook width
is changed.

Using Framed and Labeled (or sometimes just Labeled) is a good way to add a
"caption" to any graphic. In my opinion much better than using PlotLabel,
which is practically archaic.

To obtain a dynamic entry in a Text cell use an InlineCell.
 omega = 3.4
Then a Text cell:

In the following the value of omega is Dynamic[omega] until it is changed
again.

Here the Dynamic[omega] is put in an InlineCell and then evaluated in place.
Then whenever you change omega it will also change in the Text cell.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: Eduardo MAM Mendes [mailto:emammendes at me.com]

Hello

I have been using notebooks to write reports for a while.  Although I am
getting by (the package Presentations by David Park has been of great help),
I still have some points that I am not sure how to handle.   Ok,  here they
are:

a) Insert-> Picture-> From file inserts the jpg as advertised however I did
not figure out how to add a text box that works as a caption just below the
figure in the same cell.  Of course the cell cannot be evaluated, so I have
turn off that option. If there is a way to add the caption, I wonder whether
the whole cell - picture + caption - could be  centered justified.

b) Style - Text - How to create a dynamic cell, that is, suppose I have a
text cell as follows

After some  calculation the value of the variable omega is 3.4.

Instead of 3.4, I wonder whether it could be the actual calculated value of
omega. If omega changes I do not need to change the text cell to update its
value.

One thing that I've noticed is that one has to keep the cell size to a
minimum, otherwise lots of almost blank pages come out of the printer.

Any tips and help will be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Ed