Re: Win7 "not responding"; WinXP no problem w/ my Manipulate

This turned out to be a problem with Microsoft Windows 7, with "Windows Ghosting".  Here is a description and a solution:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2010/09/10/de-ghosting-your-windows.aspx

BTW, I see that Mathematica 9.0, unlike Mathematica 8 and before, evidently does not employ java to implement its Manipulate functionality.  So my earlier presumption that this was a java/win7/32-64 problem were misplaced.