Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg129828] Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 04:09:33 -0500 (EST)

To the contrary, I find the new (by default) auto-completion a
significant improvement over having to use Ctrl+K. E.g., say I want to
type ChiDistribution. I type 'Chi' and get the drop-down list of 3
possible completions. Only one of these 3 has 'D' as the next letter. So
I just type 'D' and press Return. Mathematica completes the rest.

That's a fairly short example. I've found that I can type long
expressions, with many names in them (`System or `Global) much faster

This helps makes up for Mathematica's verbose descriptive language, in
contrast with languages where names are short but often cryptic.

On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:10 AM, "djmpark" <djmpark at> wrote:

> ...All the doo-dads are to me a nuisance. The one thing I liked was
the Ctrl+K
> (which I could type faster than you can say Jack Rabbit) command
> But now Ctrl+K is gone and what replaces it is ill-conceived and

Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305