Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129834] Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog
  • From: Paul E McHale <paulmchale at icloud.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 05:42:37 -0500 (EST)

I assume Stephen is trying to improve the Mathematica brand by
establishing standards and defining terms to prove legitimacy.  I think
it is a great idea that he has been trying to resolve for 20 years.  I
think this means Stephen is not speaking of introducing a new language,
but instead more interested (and rightly so) in marketing.

I adamantly agree with David Park's excellent description of improving
what is already there before moving on to the next cool thing/feature.
A user trying to get the potential out of Mathematica is a trying
experience.  Current Mathematica can be summed up in "My Mathematica, My
Task, My Solution".  It's about as easy to share work or solutions as it
is to share word documents.  Seriously.

To the request for a brand name suggestion for the underlying language.
I suggest

MSSL - Mathematica Symbolic Scripting Language

Pronounced like the first part of Mistletoe.  This is especially helpful
when I produce work in hours that would have taken days in C# and Word.
I get to hear the managers asked if I used "missile" :) .

This pronunciation is CRITICAL.  Software developers have a know defect
that prohibits them from pronouncing things in rational manners.  It's
well documented.  I watched a panel of managers sit in horror as a group
of software people turned Linux evangelist had a mid presentation
argument over how to pronounce Linux.  Dupont is correct.  Branding
really matters.  FYI, they stayed with Windows.

Just my 2c,
Paul