Re: Compiling numerical iterations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129972] Re: Compiling numerical iterations
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:27:42 -0500 (EST)

On 26/02/2013 06:09, firlefranz wrote:
> Thanks a lot! To be honest, some of the commands Ray is using, I've never seen before. I stopped using mathematica before version 5 came out.

Remember that clicking on any function name and pressing F1, will give
you some help.

Also, if you are confused about what certain operators do, or what their
precedence is in a particular expression, you can always resort to
FullForm. Since you want to look at the expression before evaluation, do
this:

FoldList[Plus,0,
  Total@Sign@Table[Most@RandomReal[{-1,1},num],{1000}]] //Hold//FullForm

Hold[FoldList[Plus, 0,
   Total[Sign[Table[Most[RandomReal[List[-1, 1], num]], List[1000]]]]]]

The other thing to remember, is that repeated clicking at a point in an
expression (or use of Edit/Extend selection) will pick out successively
larger complete expressions - whether the expression is FullForm or not.
You can copy/paste such an expression somewhere else, and test it to see
what it does.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk