Dynamically updated CurrentValue: I want to know which key is being pressed?

Is there a way to get information with CurrentValue of about which key is
being pressed? CurrentValue only seems to have ways to get mouse buttons
and modifier key events---which seems odd, I feel like that's going halfway
with the sort of functionality CurrentValue could provide and I figure I
must be missing something?