Re: Modern Differential Geometry for Mathematica 9

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129425] Re: Modern Differential Geometry for Mathematica 9
  • From: Sandra <sandra at digi-area.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 21:51:10 -0500 (EST)

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:23:05 AM UTC+2, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> How about the following?
>

> (1) Identifying the exact version number of Atlas 2 to which you refer
>
> -- in your message and on the DigiArea web site?
>

> With my licensed copy of Atlas 2, in the Documentation Center page
>
> guide/InstalledAddOns, I see that I am running Atlas version 2.3.0. And
>
> the "Update" button in the "Manage" section for that item on the page is
>
> not highlighted, so _presumably_ I have the current version.
>

> (2) Providing an easy way to tell within Atlas what the version is.
>

> In fact, it should be a "law" for any commercial or free add-on: within
>
> the context of the add-on, include a variable that returns the version
>
> number. E.g.:
>

>   $AtlasVersion
>

> or
>

>   $Atlas`Version
>

> I tried some poking around in the Atlas add-on files themselves, but in
>
> Atlas.m I see:
>

> (* :Package Version: 2.0 *)
>

> (* :Copyright: Copyright 2011, DigiArea, Inc. *)
>

> (* :Mathematica Version: 8.0 *)
>

> So how am I supposed to tell easily what version is really there?
>

> Add-on providers, especially commercial ones, should be subject to 10
>
> lashes from a wet spaghetti if they fail to include such a function.
>

> On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:42 PM, Sandra <sandra at digi-area.com> wrote:
>

> > The Atlas project team is pleased to announce the release of the
>
> Mathematica 9 version of the Atlas 2 for Mathematica package.
>

> > Atlas 2 for Mathematica is the add-on for doing modern differential
>
> geometry calculations.
>

> > The tool is available on DigiArea website and Wolfram Research
>
> website.
>
> > http://www.wolfram.com/products/applications/atlas2/
>
> > http://digi-area.com/Mathematica/atlas/
>

> > Some of the main features:
>
> > - Calculations are coordinate free - calculations are performed in
>
> terms of tensors, vectors and p-forms, but not their components!
>

> > - Standard differential geometry notations - the tool uses standard
>
> differential geometry notations for exterior derivative, tensor product
>
> etc. which
>

> > allows you to see the same results/formulas on the screen and in your
>
> textbooks.
>

> > - Visualization of n-dimensional objects - the tool provides useful
>
> Visualize function to visualize n-dimensional differential geometry
>
> objects.
>
> > You can explore more about the visualization here:
>
> > http://digi-area.com/Mathematica/atlas/index.php#AtlasVisualization
>

> > - Differential Geometry Library - the tool provides access to
>
> Differential Geometry Library directly from Mathematica. The library has
>
> over 550 objects for
>

> > differential geometry and its applications. There are hundreds of
>
> Exact Solutions of Einstein's Field Equations. Atlas Palette (see below)
>
> calculates any of
>

> > the objects/Exact Solutions just in seconds.
>
> > You can explore Differential Geometry Library here:

> [...]

- You have the most recent version of the tool - 2.3.0 update.
- The comments in the Atlas.m is already fixed and updated. Thank you for pointing that out.
  Just for information, the comments have no effect on the functionality of the tool.
- Yes, Version Function for the Atlas tool would be very useful and convenient! The ticket for this task is already created and on the path to development.

Thank you again for your priceless comments!