MathGroup Archive 2013

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Mathematica and Lisp

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129490] Re: Mathematica and Lisp
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 00:49:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net
  • References: <kcqkv4$lq5$1@smc.vnet.net> <kct7fj$sgo$1@smc.vnet.net> <kd03ej$6dl$1@smc.vnet.net> <20130115043105.21DD56958@smc.vnet.net> <kd5huk$jk6$1@smc.vnet.net> <20130117041453.5995F6855@smc.vnet.net>

On Jan 17, 13, at 12:14 PM, Richard Fateman wrote:

> On 1/15/2013 10:39 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 2013, at 11:31 PM, David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk.math.umass.edu> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> It all depends on just what you want somebody to accomplish when learning his/her first programming language.
>
> There are several issues here.
> For a starter, 4-year colleges generally do not offer credit for "a
> course to teach you to program in language X" in a department of
> computer science.
> There may be such courses in physics, statistics, etc departments,
> but this should be classified as a utility course, akin to "how to use
> the microwave oven in the lunchroom".

Was this analogy meant to be pejorative?

I  teach such a course and receive current and a posteriori feedback on the benefits of learning to  rapidly construct a model, compute it, and visualize it. Equally important, the students learn math and a means to acquire more math on their own---and quickly.  I teach fundamental concepts of my discipline by using novice programming, numerical analysis, symbolic algebra: voila, canonical discipline knowledge and transferable skills in one course.

The "microwave usage" analogy diminishes the importance of an indispensable tool to an applied scientist or engineer.

I have physical science colleagues who consider programing and linear algebra to be superfluous because they use spreadsheet tools.  I consider their myopic view marginally more perverse than (paraphrasing) `classifying computer language tools as microwave ovens for those who don't build microwaves or understand their operating principles'.

• Prev by Date: Re: Question about PlotRange
  • Next by Date: Re: Export with append??
  • Previous by thread: Re: Mathematica and Lisp
  • Next by thread: Re: Mathematica and Lisp