Re: Mathematica and Lisp

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129504] Re: Mathematica and Lisp
  • From: John Doty <noqsiaerospace at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 00:54:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:15:18 PM UTC-7, Richard Fateman wrote:

> If you want a term rewriting system, several of them (free, open source)
>
> have been written in Lisp.  Anything that Mathematica can
>
> do computationally can be done, in principle, with any "Turing equivalent"
>
> programming language, and that includes Lisp.

Sure. You can write a term rewriting system in Cobol if you wish. But then, if you use it to write programs, you're no longer programming in Cobol.

> > f_[whoCalled]^:=f
>
> > Sin[whoCalled]
>

> Certainly such a feature could be implemented in a pattern-matching
>
> system written in Lisp.

But it's not a native construction in Lisp.

>  Since most lisp implementations provide
>
> many "introspective" features including examining the run-time call
>
> stack, I think it would be possible to extract "who called me" from
>
> this information of the (complete) call stack.

But you're missing the point: Mathematica does this kind of thing naturally as a consequence of its design. Lisp does not.