Construction of non-standart Wavelet filter

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129536] Construction of non-standart Wavelet filter
  • From: Nikola Dimitrov <n.pl.dimitrov at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:09:02 -0500 (EST)

Hello !
I need to give a presentation about image compression and Mathematica. The last topic is construction of non-standard wavelet filter using Daubechies method / factorization /, compress the image, plot scaling/translates and do a relative error versus compression ratio diagram.
I know how to do the factorization in a pure mathematical way, but don't have a clue how to do this in Mathematica and the whole "create a wavelet filter".
Should I define my own wavelet, following this tutor or should I define a procedure

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/DefiningYourOwnWavelet.html

I have already created the plots of the scaling/translates of a standard filter / Daubechies wavelet /, so that's the easiest part.

Any tutorials, papers, tips, info or Mathematica notebooks are appreciated !

Thank you !