Re: Russian Peasant Multiplication / was question on how to do this

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131386] Re: Russian Peasant Multiplication / was question on how to do this
  • From: d.a.paxton at gmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 00:49:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:47:03 AM UTC-6, Richard Fateman wrote:
> Dave --
>
> 1.  You should try to come up with a useful subject line
>
> in the future.
>
> 2. It is called Russian Peasant Multiplication (which you may
>
> find on Google).
>
> 3. There is no reason to believe that a procedural algorithm
>
> has a formula, but in this case I think the inverse is known
>
> as division :)

Bob,  Thanks on that.  I see the use of the floor function.  This whole idea is trivial when one can use that.  What I am trying to do is basically do the floor function as a linear equation.  This is useful for pulling numbers apart.  Like a number 13.  How does one algebraically make it 1 and 3 or 10 and 3.  Either.