Re: User-defined Probability Mass Function

With ProbabilityDistribution you define a function, that Mathematica handles
as a arbitrary ProbabilityDistribution you can define.

Mathematica offers you the transformation from a PDF to a CDF (cumulative
distribution function). That is the part of the functional programming
concept of Mathematica.

What you search, I think, is bfitting the Parameters of a classic PDF
to the data you offer:

xv={-2.1, 3.45, 7};
yv={0.5,0.3,0.2};
xyv=Transpose[{xv,yv}];
ListPlot[Transpose[{xv,yv}]]
NonlinearModelFit[xyv,PDF[ChiDistribution[\[Nu]],x],{\[Nu]},x]

Kind regards wishes Peter

Sehr geehrter Herr Frau ,

Freundliche Gr=FC=DFe sendet

Dr. Peter Klamser

2013/7/6  <bruce.colletti at gmail.com>:
> The questions below can presumably be answered in terms of
ProbabilityDistribution, so here goes...

> How do I create a distribution for the discrete random variable whose
support is {-2.1, 3.45, 7} having corresponding probabilities {0.5, 0.3,
0.2}?