Re: Importing a file and extracting data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131161] Re: Importing a file and extracting data
  • From: Helen Read <readhpr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 04:20:28 -0400 (EDT)

For starters, make sure you import your file as a Table.

data = Import["filename", "Table"]

Now find where Run 1 and Run 2 begin.

p1 = Position[data, {"Run", 1}][[1, 1]]

p2 = Position[data, {"Run", 2}][[1, 1]]

For Run 1, we want the part of the table from just after p1 to right
before p2. Delete the blank rows {} while you are at it.

run1 = DeleteCases[data[[p1 + 1 ;; p2 - 1]], {}]

For Run 2, we want everything from right after p2 to the end.

run2 = DeleteCases[data[[p2 + 1 ;; Length[data]]], {}]

So now we have two tables, run1 and run2. We need to extract the
temperature and time from each row of the tables. The rows look for
example like the following.

{"Tc_Naph_83_2C", 3.758, "ns"}

The basic idea is to construct a function to operate on one row of the
table, then Map it across the table. You can do this quite compactly
using pure functions, but if you are new to this sort of thing you might
find it easier to follow if you write an explicit function that operates
on one row of the table at a time. I will use x to represent one row.

To begin, we get the first two parts of row x.

x[[1]] contains the temperature information (but needs some processing).
x[[2]] is the time.

In the example row, x[[1]] is  "Tc_Naph_83_2C"

Use StringSplit on the "_"  to get at the pieces.

StringSplit["Tc_Naph_83_2C", "_"]
results in {"Tc", "Naph", "83", "2C"}

Now, we get the 2nd-to-the-last part of this (the "83" in the example),
and the last part (the "2C"). We drop the last character from the "2C".
Then join the "83" with a "." and the "2". Finally, use ToExpression to
convert "83.2" from a string to a number.

Putting this all together, here is a function to extract the temperature
and time from one row of the table. I've used some local variables
{split,temperature,time} to keep track of things as we go.

f[x_] := Module[{split, temperature, time},
   time = x[[2]];
   split = StringSplit[x[[1]], "_"];
   temperature =
    ToExpression[
     StringJoin[split[[-2]], ".", StringDrop[split[[-1]], -1]]];
   {temperature, time}
   ]

The input of the function, x, represents one row of the table. The
output is the ordered pair {temperature,time}

Test it out on a single row.

f[{"Tc_Naph_84_2C", 3.74`, "ns"}]

Now simply Map the function over each run.

Map[f, run1]

Map[f,run2]

Helen Read
University of Vermont