Re: Multiplication by 0: non-zero in versions 8 and 9

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131182] Re: Multiplication by 0: non-zero in versions 8 and 9
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 05:16:35 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/15/2013 1:16 AM, Sotirios Bonanos wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> I have noticed that in all Mathematica versions <8, multiplying a
> real or complex number by the integer 0 gives 0, but in versions 8
> and 9
>
> Times[0, 0.567] gives 0.
>
> and
>
> Times[1.23 + I 2.45, 0] gives 0. + 0. I
>
> I don't know what prompted this change but it is definitely wrong:
> the zero property of multiplication holds for real and complex
> numbers also (see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication#Properties) .
>
> Sotirios Bonanos http://www.inp.demokritos.gr/~sbonano/

You appear to be making a distinction between "0"  and "0."
and "0.+0.I".  Yet for Mathematica,  0==0.+0.*I  returns True.

You may have a valid objection to something that has been
changed in the program, but appealing to the wikipedia
article is not particularly significant.

After all,
Times[0,x]  comes out as 0,  but this is not what happens
for x being 0., Indeterminate, Infinity, Interval[{-1,1}],
and probably other stuff.

As Dorothy said, you are not in Kansas anymore.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/not_in_Kansas_anymore