What is f[1]? Advanced question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131300] What is f[1]? Advanced question
  • From: amannucci <Anthony.J.Mannucci at jpl.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:14:08 -0400 (EDT)

I have found a Mathematica program with the following construct:
x[1]=0.1
x[2]=0.2
x[3]=0.3

or
Do[x[i]=i/10.,{i,1,3}]

x is not a function. It is not a list. What is it? If I query x thus:
?x

the answer is just what I have written above. Mathematica knows about x[1], x[2], etc. How does Mathematica know about the "elements" of x?

In some other sense, I could have written:
y1 = 0.1
y2 = 0.2
y3 = 0.3

But
?y

obviously gives a different result (just returns y).

Thank you.