Text alignment within a cell

Is there a way to align text two different ways within the same cell?

I'd like to start a cell left-aligned, and then switch to center-aligned later.

Reason being, I'd like the entire thing framed and with a colored background.  If there's a way to merge several cells in a frame with a background, that would work as well.