Re: Why mathematica can't solve this non linear equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130054] Re: Why mathematica can't solve this non linear equation
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 03:59:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Norman,

It is not the case, as I see in your questions. Try to look at them with a stranger's eyes.

My attitude is that it is one's personal problem to solve equations coming from his job. After all, we are paid for that.

I feel myself unjustly used, if somebody tries to get from me solutions of his problems the way you did it. From your questions it seemed clear that you did not look into documentation, did not draw any graphics, did not even look up the MathGroup archive. The answers to at least your few first questions one easily finds in the documentation, but you do not know that. So, you did not look into it.

Excuse me, Norman, but the whole story looks as if you just expected somebody to solve your problems instead of you, while you just would like to minimize the time spent on this. Do you remember, I answered your first question, and you immediately responded me with a new one and posted several others, all of the same kind?

I can well imagine that you did not do it by purpose.  This makes me responding you now the way I do it.

Let me formulate the rules I follow myself. I anyway only express my personal opinion: others may express their, if they feel necessary.  When I ask my questions at the MathGroup, I focus on "how to do" something, rather than really doing that instead of me. Once I understand "how to do", I deal  with my problems myself.

My approach here is to separate these two things: my lack of Mathematica knowledge and the problem I solve for my job, or for my personal pleasure. In order to separate these things, I typically do not post here real problems I solve. Instead I post examples that are reasonably simplified to only exhibit a feature that caused my problem, rather than unnecessary details. This rule ensures that those who will help me, will easily and fast understand the core of my problem. Look at your equations from this point of view.

I should say that the very same approach is taken by many people here, if not by everyone. I, however, only speak about myself.

If, nevertheless, I am wrong about your question and intentions, accept please my apologies.

Best, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,