MathGroup Archive 2013

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Why mathematica can't solve this non linear equation

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130054] Re: Why mathematica can't solve this non linear equation
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 03:59:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net
  • References: <5F5696D639DA7D4C842D85A250023D872DB41276@DB3PRD0710MB393.eurprd07.prod.outlook.com>

Hi, Norman,

It is not the case, as I see in your questions. Try to look at them with a stranger's eyes.

My attitude is that it is one's personal problem to solve equations coming from his job. After all, we are paid for that.

I feel myself unjustly used, if somebody tries to get from me solutions of his problems the way you did it. From your questions it seemed clear that you did not look into documentation, did not draw any graphics, did not even look up the MathGroup archive. The answers to at least your few first questions one easily finds in the documentation, but you do not know that. So, you did not look into it.

Excuse me, Norman, but the whole story looks as if you just expected somebody to solve your problems instead of you, while you just would like to minimize the time spent on this. Do you remember, I answered your first question, and you immediately responded me with a new one and posted several others, all of the same kind?

I can well imagine that you did not do it by purpose.  This makes me responding you now the way I do it.

Let me formulate the rules I follow myself. I anyway only express my personal opinion: others may express their, if they feel necessary.  When I ask my questions at the MathGroup, I focus on "how to do" something, rather than really doing that instead of me. Once I understand "how to do", I deal  with my problems myself.

My approach here is to separate these two things: my lack of Mathematica knowledge and the problem I solve for my job, or for my personal pleasure. In order to separate these things, I typically do not post here real problems I solve. Instead I post examples that are reasonably simplified to only exhibit a feature that caused my problem, rather than unnecessary details. This rule ensures that those who will help me, will easily and fast understand the core of my problem. Look at your equations from this point of view.

I should say that the very same approach is taken by many people here, if not by everyone. I, however, only speak about myself.

If, nevertheless, I am wrong about your question and intentions, accept please my apologies.

Best, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,
11, rue Edmond Reuter,
L-5326 Contern, LUXEMBOURG

Office phone :  +352-2454-2566
Office fax:       +352-2454-3566
mobile phone:  +49 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu<mailto:alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu>

Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:54 PM
To: Alexei Boulbitch
Subject: [mg130054] Re: Why mathematica can't solve this non linear equation

Hi Alexei,
   Sorry for the trouble. I found your reply is very offensive, so I thought to reply you personally.
All are here to post their own questions that they found, day to day research.  They don't get those equations
magically. So it is naive to say that.

All are here to

his job done

his scientific problem solved
and share their knowledge.  Sorry if I offend you.  Anyway thanks for your help. I really appreciated.

Cheers,
Norman.
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu<mailto:Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>> wrote:
Hi All,
   I need to solve below equation.  My PC got stuck.

Solve[{(\[Mu]0 Sin[t - t0])/Sqrt[ l2^2 + \[Mu]0 l2 Cos[t - t0] +
\[Lambda]0] + (\[Mu]1 Sin[t - t1])/ Sqrt[l2^2 + \[Mu]1 l2 Cos[t - t1] +
\[Lambda]1] ==  0, (2 l2 + \[Beta]0 + \[Mu]0 Cos[t - t0])/Sqrt[ l2^2 +
\[Mu]0 l2 Cos[t - t0] + \[Lambda]0] + ( 2 l2 + \[Beta]1 + \[Mu]1 Cos[t -
t1])/Sqrt[  l2^2 + \[Mu]1 l2 Cos[t - t1] + \[Lambda]1] + 2/( 1 + V
r^(l2/D0)) == 0}, {t, l2}]

Hi, Norman,

I personally consider this forum to be a place where we exchange our knowledge of Mathematica. My opinion that this is not a place
where one can turn to have

*         his job done,

*         his homework fulfilled, or

*         his scientific problem solved
by somebody else instead of him.
It is understood that people here are rather busy with their own work (at least, a good part of them), and it is only their good will to spend a part of their precious time helping one another.

I give here only my personal attitude. Others will express theirs, if they wish.

Now you posted here several questions, all of the same sort. It looks very much to fit to one of the cases I listed above.

I wish you success in solving your problems yourself, and, of course, feel free asking us questions concerning difficult Mathematica tricks, where we will make our best helping you.

Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,
11, rue Edmond Reuter,
L-5326 Contern, LUXEMBOURG

Office phone :  +352-2454-2566<tel:%2B352-2454-2566>
Office fax:       +352-2454-3566<tel:%2B352-2454-3566>
mobile phone:  +49 151 52 40 66 44<tel:151%2052%2040%2066%2044>

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu<mailto:alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu>

• Prev by Date: Re: Mathematica and Lisp
  • Next by Date: Issue with the submatrix in mathematica(version 7)
  • Previous by thread: Re: Why mathematica can't solve this non linear equation
  • Next by thread: SymmetricReduction strange behaviour