Re: Equation Labels

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130084] Re: Equation Labels
  • From: Christoph Lhotka <christoph.lhotka at univie.ac.at>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 06:23:43 -0500 (EST)

Hello Nick,

  it depends a little bit on your way of working, I will tell you how I
do it:

1) In the 'Edit/Preferences' from the main menu click 'Advanced' tab and
open the 'Option Inspector'.
2) Look up 'CounterIncrements' or open the group 'Formatting Options'
and open 'Automatic Numbering' and double click 'Counter Display Options'
3) Change the 'Show Option Values' from 'Global Preferences' to the
notebook (that is open),
and where you want to make the changes.
4) Change the 'CounterFunction' to one of those of the drop down list or
set it to 'Other Mathematica Function'
5) Change the function by double clicking into something like:

(Part[{"1a", "1b", "2", "3", "3a", "3b", ......}, #]& )

 From now on the i-th equation number will be formated as the i-th entry
of the list you
specifiy in the function above.

I use this way to control the formatting when writing books or articles
in Mathematica.

Hope that helps,

    Christoph

PS: The double clicking to change the function is a little bit tricky
(M9, Ubuntu 12.04),
just try as long as you find the function editable.